Saturday, December 1, 2012

Creativity & Spice

A few evenings ago Alison and I wanted some wine after our long Friday of teaching.  But good red wine is hard to find around here without paying an arm and a leg for the imported wines from Italy, Spain, and France.  If I had had the energy to grab a cab to a large grocery store, my chances would have been great.  But, I didn't.  Instead, I took my chances with a shockingly cheap bottle of red wine from a local corner market.  It tasted like alcohol grape juice.
So, I poured the entire bottle into a pot, peeled a few clementines and threw the wedges in.  Then I added two slices of lemon it the peel and lightly covered the top with a sprinkling of cinnamon and nutmeg.  I turned the heat on low and let it simmer for about thirty minutes.

Lo and behold, I had delicious, festive mulled wine!  Alison and I had no problem finishing two bottles of wine this way, (these bottles were very small and only yielded two glasses of wine in total).  And when the wine was gone, we devoured the wine-laden fruit, which was also scrumptious!  

If you need a relaxing, holiday-inspired moment to yourself or to share with a friend, wonder down to the market and buy the cheapest bottle of red wine you can find.  Then get creative!




No comments:

Post a Comment